John concentrates his practice in estate planning, estate and gift taxation, and trust and estate administration. He is a frequent lecturer on estate planning, estate administration and charitable giving.
He joined Ryley Carlock from Lischer, Batts & Lyons, P.C., located in Scottsdale and Sun City, where he served as Managing Shareholder. Prior to starting his own firm, John was an attorney with Ryley Carlock and served as Managing Shareholder. He managed the firm's offices in Scottsdale and Sun City during many of those years.
Prior to joining Ryley, Carlock & Applewhite in 1970, John served as a Law Clerk to Justice Lorna E. Lockwood of the Arizona Supreme Court (1968-1970).
- Denver Foundation, Member of Professional Advisors Council, 2015-present
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow, 1979-present
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Arizona State Chairman, 1981
- Sun Valley Lodge, Director and Vice President, 2000-present
- Investment Advisory Committee, Area Agency on Aging, Chairman, 2001-present
- Ellis Center For Educational Excellence, Director and Secretary, 2005-2013
- Phoenix Zoo Professional Advisors Group, Co-Founder and Member, 2008-2013
- Scottsdale Health Care Professional Advisors Group, Member, 2008-present
- Sun Health Foundation, Trustee, 1986-1996
- Sun City Community Fund, Trustee, 1986-1988
- Arizona Community Foundation, Director, 1988-2000
- Arizona Big Brothers, Big Sisters Foundation, Director, 1990-2000
John has earned an AV-Preeminent Rating with Martindale-Hubbell. He has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1993 and in Super Lawyers since 2007.